May Research Update:
- North Carolina State Shade Study
- The results are in and will be published shortly. The study involved Celebration Bermuda, Discovery Bermuda, TifWay 419, TifGrand and other experimental lines from NC State.
- The study was over the course of 2-3 years.
- Discovery outperformed all other grasses and was followed closely by Celebration
- Shade levels were over 65%
- Researchers cut out “cups” to observe regrowth. Discovery was fastest to grow back in the conditions.
- Turf Research Florida
- Looking for improved disease resistance and cold hardiness in both fine and course bladed zoysias.
- Dr. Kevin Kenworthy is preparing to send four or five lines from the program to sod farms for trials with standard maintenance and harvesting protocols.
- We are getting closer to a release which will likely happen over the next few years.